Founded in June 2010, the Asian Contemporary Arts Consortium in San Francisco (ACAC-SF) is a not-for-profit coalition dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding, to building audiences and to promoting and sustaining interest in Asian contemporary arts and design in San Francisco and the Bay Area.
By joining efforts in resource sharing, ACAC-SF serves as a platform to create collaborative opportunities between members of the Asian contemporary arts and design communities, including artists, designers, architects, curators, educators, scholars, museum directors, critics, patrons and collectors. Through various formats of events and programs, ACAC-SF supports and contributes to artistic and design practices and strengthens the infrastructure for disseminating the works for both established and emerging artists and designers. ACAC-SF also facilitates the interactions and exchanges of contemporary Asian arts and design communities between San Francisco / the Bay Area and Asia.
ACAC-SF is an independent and autonomous organization; however, it is not an incorporated entity. Currently, California College of the Arts acts as the fiscal sponsor for the Consortium’s activities. The ACAC-SF office is housed in the office complex on 80 Carolina Street at CCA’s San Francisco campus. ACAC-SF is affiliated with the Asian Contemporary Art Consortium in New York City, which was established in 2001 and has been sponsored by the Asia Society.
Our Founding Members are:
- Stephen Beal, President, the California College of the Arts and Co-Chairman of ACAC-SF
- Jack Wadsworth, Collector and Co-Chairman of the Asia Society Northern California, Co-Chairman of ACAC-SF
- Jay Xu, Director, Asian Art Museum and Co-Chairman of ACAC-SF
- Chong-Moon Lee, Co-Chairman, Asia Society Northern California
- Douglas Akagi, Director, Alterpop Design Studio
- Cheryl Haines, Director, Haines Gallery
- Dipti Mathur, Private Collector
- Wendi Norris, Co-Director, Frey Norris Contemporary & Modern
- Bruce Pickering, Director, Asia Society Northern California
Currently we are honored to have the following organizations and individuals on the Advisory Board of ACAC-SF:
- Paule Anglim, Paule Anglim Gallery
- Britta Erickson, Independent Curator and Critic
- Stephen Gong, Executive Director, Center for Asian American Media
- Edward Gui and Alice Zhang, Nan Hai Art
- Hou Hanru, MAXXI Rome
- Todd Hosfelt and Dianne Dec, Hosfelt Gallery
- Richard and Pamela Kramlich
- Susan Krane, Director, San Jose Museum of Art
- John and Leslie McQuown
- Lawrence Rinder, Director, Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
- Julina Togonon, Togonon Fine Arts
- Tessa Wilcox, Director, Artsource Consulting
- Tamiko Wong, Oakland Asian Culture Center
- Vincent Worms, Founder, Kadist Art Foundation
- Zheng Chongbin
Xiaoming Zhang, International Advisory Director, Poly International Auction Co., Ltd.
Jia Wei, General Manager, Contemporary Art, Poly International Auction Co., Ltd.
Created by ACAC-SF, the website asiancontemporarysf.org serves as a central repository of Asian contemporary arts and design activities in the Bay Area and beyond. Distributing information through announcements and e-mail list, the site connects our members to a broader network of professionals and audience in the field.
The site also serves as a platform to present special events and programs organized by ACAC-SF.